Monday, April 18, 2011

Orange-Habanero Mahi-Mahi with Honey-Cilantro Glaze

My neighbor gave me a plethora of deliciously ripe and juicy oranges straight from the tree so I’ve been experimenting with various ways to use them up.  I came up with this marinade/glaze and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely. 
You can use probably just about any type of white fish.  I had two pieces of tilapia and one mahi-mahi and both came out great.  I just happen to like mahi-mahi more.


Here is the ingredient list:
Fish
4-5 juicy oranges
¼-1/3 cup honey
Handful of cilantro
1 habanero
Salt

Find good oranges!
Juice the oranges and mix up the honey well in the liquid.  Chop the cilantro and mince the habanero.   Throw some salt in there to suit your own personal taste.  It doesn’t need much, maybe a teaspoon or so.








The secret to this fish is how you cook it.  You need to get your oven preheated to 425 degrees F.   After this find yourself a nice, thick bottom pan that is capable of being left in the oven.  I prefer cast iron.  Set the pan on the stovetop and heat it to just a notch below the highest heat level.  Splash a nice layer of olive oil in the bottom and wait for it to get hot.  Once your oil is practically smoking throw your fish in the pan, being careful to avoid the splattering oil that always seems to find any bare skin.  Set your timer for four minutes and don’t touch the fish!  Once four minutes elapses grab the pan and throw it in the oven as is.  Set the timer for four minutes. 

After baking the fish the first round, take it out and flip it, adding the nice marinade that you made earlier.  Put it back in for four more minutes.
Hopefully by this time you have your tortillas made, your beans cooked, and your brown rice done!



4 comments:

  1. This looks delish! Welcome to the blogosphere. Your sister-in-law sent me. I'm following you and am looking forward to what Jayna describes as your Awesomeness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally not a big fan of fish but I know how good it is for you...I would give this recipe a go :)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess! I'm so happy you have a blog to post all your recipes! You should post your yummy veggie lasagna next, k? You're taking requests, right?

    ReplyDelete