Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cuban Style Black Beans

These are a staple around here.  Easy, inexpensive, and quite healthy.

1 lb. black beans
~1 teaspoon cumin
~1 Tablespoon coriander
~1 teaspoon oregano
parsley
1 green pepper
olive oil
salt and pepper
Balsamic Vinegar

The Goods


Soak your beans for 4-12 hours.  Rinse and fill pressure cooker 2-3 inches past the top of beans with fresh water.  Pressure cook at 15 p.s.i. for 30-35 minutes with all the ingredients added except the salt and vinegar.  Run cold water on the lid to depressurize, then season to taste with the salt and vinegar.

Note:  I always put hot pepper in my beans, usually cayenne and chipotle.  I also like jalapeno in the beans more than green pepper.  I think it holds up better.  However, from what I understand, Cubans don't make spicy food so I can't in good conscience put that in the ingredient list.

No comments:

Post a Comment